The Great Western Trail
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 26, 2017, 10:19:33 pm

:    
171 45 113
: Reconshane
* | | | |
+  The Great Western Trail
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Great Western Trail by Horseback
| | |-+  Canada to Mexico by Horseback
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Canada to Mexico by Horseback  ( 6009 )
Dwayne
Administrator
: 89

« : March 26, 2009, 10:52:44 am »

Richard,

That will be one very difficult and wonderful trek. The Great Western Trail would be a very good choice for a horseback trip from Canada to Mexico. You may wish to read the web postings of a Canadian couple that did that trip with two atvs and a small pop up camper trailer. http://quadtrek.net/html/accueil_eg.htm
I'm sure Mark and France would be more than happy to help with information. You would have many of the same problems and logistics as they encountered. Some parts of the trail may be difficult for horses or private property but I'm sure many travelers on the GWT would find you the best route to get supplies and have a safe trip. You may wish to ask Mike Browning president of the Great Western Trail Association if they would post a small spot on the gwt.org web page detailing your journey and ask for sponsors of this trip. Please keep us all informed of your trip no matter which route you take.

Thanks
Dwayne

Richard xxxxxxxx wrote:

> We plan a horseback trip starting at the Canadian Border across the U.S. to the border with Mexico. So I will go through all them possibly. We had thought about going through part of Colorado but that could change depending on the trails.
> Richard
> On Mar 20, 2009, at 4:40 PM, Dwayne Rowland wrote:
>
>> Richard,
>>
>> What state are you refering? The Great Western Trail has trails in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dwayne
>>
>>
>> Richard xxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Please send me any info that you have. I have been planning a horse  pack trip through the same general area.
>>> Richard xxxxxxxx
>>>
>>
>
>
>

thenrie
Global Moderator
: 11

« #1 : January 22, 2013, 10:47:46 pm »

Not sure you're still monitoring this thread, but if you are, I would think hard about going north to south on the GWT by horse, if you plan on doing it all in one shot. If you wait until the snows clear enough for travel in the northern states, you'll end up in the hottest part of the summer in Arizona. And I mean that would be brutal for horse and man! If you hit AZ during the monsoon season, and if it's a good year, you'll have water, but you'll encounter terrific electrical and wind storms almost every evening during late July and August. That is why I'm planning my trip going from the Mexico border in March, hopefully arriving at the Canadian border sometime in late summer.

Tony Henrie
westerntrailrider.com
Dwayne
Administrator
: 89

« #2 : January 15, 2014, 08:00:21 pm »

Good advise.... http://leannbednar.com/

Dwayne
: [1]  
« previous next »
: